Journal Home

  ISSN 0204-8043 (print)

  ISSN 1314-2143 (online)

Past Issues

DNA Methylation in Patients with Colorectal Cancer - Correlation with Some Clinical and Morphological Features and with Local Tumour Invasion

 

Milko Mirchev / Philip Kahl / Nicolaus Friedrichs / Iskren Kotzev / Reinhard Buettner
Clinic of Gastroenterology, Medical University, Varna, Bulgaria
Institute of Pathology, Medical University of Bonn, Germany


Citation Information: Folia Medica. Volume 52, Issue 2, Pages 22–30, ISSN (Online) 1314-2143, ISSN (Print) 0204-8043, DOI: 10.2478/v10153-010-0043-9, August 2010
Publication History:
Published Online:
2010-08-25


DNA Methylation in Patients with Colorectal Cancer - Correlation with Some Clinical and Morphological Features and with Local Tumour Invasion

Aim: To study quantitatively the promoter methylation of hMLH1, p16INK, TIMP3 and TPEF genes in patients with colorectal cancer and synchronous polyps, and correlate it with some clinicomorphological features.

Methods: DNA was extracted from all studied tumours and the corresponding normal mucosa. Microsatellite instability was analysed using two mononucleotide (BAT 25 and BAT 26) and three dinucleotide markers (D2S123, D5S356, D17S250) and automated DNA sequencing. Quantitative analysis of methylation was performed using DNA bisulfite modification, PCR with biotinylated primers, visualisation by 2% agarose gel electrophoresis and pyrosequencing.

Results: High methylation levels of hMLH1 and p16INK were found in elderly patients (mean age 73.8 ± 9.5 years and 65.7 ± 16.6 years, p < 0.03, t-test). Proximal tumours were more often associated with microsatellite instability (p < 0.05, Fisher's test) and higher level of methylation of hMLH1, p16INK and TIMP3 (p < 0.02, Kruskal-Wallis test), while tumours with poor differentiation tended to have higher methylation of the p16INK gene (p < 0.02, Kruskal-Wallis test). Local tumour invasion was correlated with the level of methylation of hMLH1, TIMP3 and the CpG island methylator phenotype (CIMP) status. Tumours with liver metastases showed a lower level of TIMP3 methylation than tumours with no systemic invasion (p < 0.05, Kruskal-Wallis test). We found concordance of methylation in 56% of the cases with colonic cancer and synchronous adenomas; the remaining 44% were discordant.

Conclusions: Tumours with microsatellite instability, high level methylation and CIMP have distinctive clinical and morphological features. The level of hMLH1 and TIMP3 methylation and CIMP status can be correlated with the local tumour invasion. Different mechanisms, even for one and the same patient, can be responsible for the development of more than one third of the synchronous polyps and carcinomas.

 

Abstract in russian

ДНК метилирование У Пациентов С Колоректальной Карциномой - Ассоциация С Определенными Клиническими И Морфологическими характеристиками и с Локальной Опухолевой Инвазией

 

Цель - количественное исследование промоторного метилирования hMLHl, pl6INK, TIMP3 и TPEF у больных с колоректалъной карциномой и синхроннымиполипами, и коррелирование с некоторыми клиническими признаками и морфологическими особенностями.

Методы: Экстрагирована ДНК от всех опухолей и от их соответствующей нормальной слизистой. Анализ микросателитной нестабильности проведен с помощью применения двух мононуклеотидных (ВАТ 25 и ВАТ 26) и трех динуклеотидных мар-керов (D2S123, D5S346, D17S25) и с помощью автоматического секвенирования. Количественное определение метилирования осуществлено посред-ством бисулъфидной модификации ДНК, PCR с использованием биотинилированных праймеров, визуализации через 2% агарозные гели электрофореза и пиросеквенирования.

Результаты: Высокостепенное метилирование hMLH и pl6INK встречается у пожилых людей (средний возраст 73.8-9.5г. и 65.7 - 16.6 г., р < 0.03, t-test).Проксимально расположенные опухоли чаще микросателитно нестабильны (р < 0.05,тест Fisher-a) и с более высокостепенным метилированием hMLHl, pl6INK и TIMP3(р < 0.02, тест Kruskal-Wallis). Налицо позитивная корреляциямежду локальной опухолевой инвазией и степенью метилирования hMLHl, T1MP3 и С1МР-статуса. Опухоли с печеночными метастазами показали более низкую степень метилирования Т1МРЗ по сравнению с метастазами без системной инвазии (р < 0.05,тест Kruskal-Wallis). В 56%случаев с карциномой колона и с синхронными аденомами налицо конкордантностъ в метилировании, а в остальных 46% - дискордантностъ.

Заключение: Опухоли с микросатилитной нестабильностью, высокостепенным метилированием и С1МР обладают характерными клинико-морфологическими особенностями. Уровень метилирования hMLHl, T1MP3 и С1МР-статуса может коррелировать с локальной опухолевой инвазией. Более чем 1/3 синхронных полипов и карцином возникают по различному механизму, хотя и в рамках одного и того же пациента.